Mom/Baby Rotation

January 28, 2018

Untitled

It's no secret that I am a lover of everything women. I believe that us women are amazing! we juggle so much within our home, family, career, social, and personal life etc and our bodies are just beyond amazing to say the least. The simple fact that we can grow another human life within us, stretch our bodies to its full capacity, birth an infant, and better yet contract our uterus from the size of a watermelon down to the size of a plum. I don't know about you but that's just fascinating! :) not to mention that if we so desire we can provide a well balanced diet (through our breast milk) to that tiny human for the first year of it's life. I mean come on now, God knew exactly what he was doing when he chose to give us women this type of responsibility hehehe. No offence to any men out there, of course that you are a vital part of this process too, your support is greatly appreciated ;)

Now back to the subject at hand. 

I have always been interested in women's health. That's the reason why I started my journey in the medical field and ever since then I have looked forward to this rotation like you would not believe.

On the first day of class I arrived about an hour early. I walked in the classroom and this overwhelming happiness covered my whole body. I honestly can't even begin to describe it, is like when you know it's meant to be. I kid you not, ask my professors, every day during class I had a smile from ear to ear. I'm not even exaggerating, I promise you. By the end of class my cheeks were sore, I truly enjoyed every minute of this rotation.

I have no complaints on my clinical experience. Every week had it's own excitement and I was able to experience and learn something new.

Week Two: I was put on triage. I was a bit bored at first mainly because it felt like the time was dragging but it didn't take long before things began to change. So much so that I  ended my day in an emergency C-section. My very first C-section! I was wowed. I was amazed. I was in love. This same week I went to the perinatal center for high risk expectant moms. Not too much excitement there which is a good thing. I had also previously worked in a perinatal center a couple of years ago and had seen some pretty cool yet unfortunate things. 

Week Three: I spent the day with a visiting nurse. This experience was special for me because I had been on this program when I was pregnant with my first baby and it was that nurse who inspired me to pursue a career in nursing. I remember telling myself, one day I am going to do her job. My second clinical day this week I was assigned to a patient in the delivering unit who was in labor with her first baby. She was a champ! Although I had seen multiple vaginal deliveries in the past, I had never seen a vacuum assisted delivery and boy was that interesting. This time around instead of following the nurse after the baby was delivered, I stood around by the doctor's side to wait for the delivery of the placenta and the repair that needed to be done. Again, our bodies are just out of this world!

Untitled

Week Four: I had my clinical experience in the NICU. I had already been to the NICU in my Peds rotation and had a much better experience that time around but I still did find that extra tiny humans were my thing. So much so that I am considering doing my preceptorship in the NICU. This week I had the pleasure of attending the SNAP Convention (Student Nurse Association of Pennsylvania) that was held in Poconos, PA. We were there three days and everything was awesome. I had attended the 2016 convention n Lancaster, PA and it to was a great experience. I'm glad I had the opportunity to attend this event. 

Week Five: No clinical due to Thanksgiving break. 

Week Six & Seven: I was assigned to the postpartum side of the unit and was paired with a nurse to care for both moms and babies after the delivery. That was an interesting experience all on its own. Thankfully there were no major complications with any of our moms but I did get to watch several babies get circumcised. Yikes! Traumatizing a bit :-/ overall it was an amazing experience. 

Early in the semester I had met with the program coordinator and we talked about my future goals in using and what my area of interest was. I mentioned how much I loved OB and how excited I was for the rotation but that I was curious to see whether I would love it as much as I thought I did or if I would have a change of heart. Well my friends I'm happy to inform you that not only do I still love OB but I think that I love it even more after that rotation. 

I look forward on starting my career in something that I feel so passionate about. My goal is to grow within this specialty. There are so many different areas that I am interest in that it'll be be interesting to see where I actually end up and the course that this journey will take me on. At this moment my biggest issue is deciding whether I want to start in OB right after graduation or if I should dedicate a couple of years to Med/Surg nursing before specializing. I don't think I can go wrong with either choice but I do want the best possible nursing experience throughout my nursing career. More than anything I want to be the best possible nurse that I can be and offer my patients the best possible care. 

:)

Post a Comment