Inspired

March 11, 2018

The one thing I love about my current job besides my coworkers are my patients. And I mean those that are 70+. It wasn’t always this way. I had to learn to love them by actually taking the time to sit with them and learn about them. More recently I have learned to see them with different eyes (Thanks Prof M.F.)

I’m in the Gero rotation now and being able to better understand the aging process and what things are not considered “normal part of aging” has really helped me gain better understanding of these patients and be more patient with them. Not that I wasn’t patient before but I’d always thought of my grandparents and family being in their position and how I’d like them to be treated given their situation. However, now I can put those comparisons aside and see them as who they are, individuals with lots of cool stories and wisdom.

That being said, today I took care of this 86 years old lady and she made an impact in my life. I’ve taken care of many patients her age and even older (100+ years) but there was something about her that made me feel different. Gracious. Thankful. Blessed. I was honestly having a rough day after my day yesterday and decided that maybe spending a little time talking to my patients today would help distract me a little. And it sure did. She went on and on and on about her life stories and things that she had done and dealt with. Then she said, “I could write a book about my life. Actually, somedays when I sit on the beach (she’s from down south and was in town visiting) I wish I could write about my life so that my grandkids and their grandkids can read my story”. And that’s when it hit me.

That’s why I blog.

Something that started simply as a way to document my wedding journey has turned into this amazing blog where I share a lot about my life as a married women, my husband, marriage, our children, my journey through nursing school, our travels and adventures, my frustrations, and even some personal things. There are days that I don’t blog often, there are days that I wonder if I should continue to write as I feel my content is not that of interest to many. Yet today I was also reminded of the many times I read other bloggers say that when you decide to start a blog to make sure that you stay true to yourself and always always write for you!

I don’t know how long this blog will be up for or or how often I’ll be able to write on it but as long as it’s focus continues to be on stories about my married life, I will do my very best to leave my future grandchildren something they can remember me by. Better yet, something that will allow them to know me. Like really know me and about me and what better way than through my own words :)

Thank you cute little lady for keeping me inspired.

Post a Comment