Word of the year: Self Love

April 1, 2023

Word of the year



On a prior post I had mentioned how I started to be more intentional about my mental health. I never elaborated on it in detail but self love has been a big part of it. As women, we have many roles. From being a wife, to being a mother, to being daughters, sisters, friends, working humans who contribute to household or are the sole provider of our home. Our roles are endless. Our days are always filled with many responsibilities that involve caring for everyone around us. But how many tasks on our never ending to do list are just about us? How often do we get to love on ourselves? I’m not sure about you but at my 36 years of life I’m just realizing that my life revolves around those I love. 


Don’t get me wrong. I’m not complaining. I love being a wife, a mother, a daughter. I love helping my siblings when they need me. Or being there for a friend. I love my career as a nurse. Nonetheless, I have to admit that I can easily get sucked in to the many responsibilities of daily living and by the end of the day I’m exhausted to even want to shower. Yes I said it, even to shower. I do it (most days hahaha), because it's the only time I get to enjoy and look forward to for myself. To be alone with my thoughts. And even this is not always the case as my children walk in the bathroom like there’s no one there. Mind you, it's My private bathroom located in My bedroom 🤦🏽‍♀️. Which is exactly my point. We forget to love on us. And I have been more intentional about doing that. Or at least I’ve been trying to be. Finding out what makes me happy as an individual, aside my many roles. What brings me joy. Doing things to care for myself. My body. My mind. I’m working on getting out of my comfort zone. As I heard in a podcast, we must allow ourselves to be comfortable in being uncomfortable. 


A cousin suggested I take myself out on dates. Like a legit date y’all. Table for one please. Is that a thing? Or maybe a coffee date. Like not going through the drive through but going into a cute coffee shop and sitting down to enjoy my coffee while I people watch, alone, with my thoughts. Talk about uncomfortable 🥴. I haven’t tried it yet but it’s on my to do list. 


And so here I am. 36 years old. Choosing myself over everyone and everything in order to be the best wife, mother, and human being I can possibly be. In order to become the best version of myself. 


I won’t lie y’all. Every year I pick a word of the year to focus on I am tested in ways I could have never thought possible. Usually it happens at the end of the year however, this year I was lucky enough to start off the year with trial after trial. Is like the universe was asking me if I truly understood the assignment 😒.  


I do universe. I do. I get it. 


At last, 2023 the year of Self Love. 

 ❤️‍🔥


Past Words of the Year:
2015 Grace
2016 Faith
2017 Healing 
2018 Patience

2019 Joy

2020 Hope

2021 Confidence

2022 Self Control

Post a Comment