Grow Old With Me...

September 20, 2017

2017-09-20_0001

The best is yet to be.

It's been 6 years now that we've been on this journey we call our married life. And with each passing year I'm reminded that this journey will probably never reach a destination because in some way or another we continue to grow and evolve into different yet better versions of ourselves. We continue to grow, we continue to mature, and we continue to love and appreciate even more the little things we have done that has made us fall in love. 

It has not been a walk down the park, but if I'd had the opportunity to do it again I'd still chose you and I'd still love only you. 

This year feels different however. I don't know what it is, maybe it was the first 6 years of bad luck and the curse finally broke. For the first time since our wedding I feel that we are finally on the same page. We are able to communicate effectively and fight fair, well most times anyways.

I love that I have finally realized that there's more to a marriage then being married, having kids, and owning a house. Being married is like Anne Taylor Fleming says "two people trying to dance a duet and two solos at the same time". Being married is learning to accept and still love each other as we evolve into mature and even more unique individuals. Just because you reach adulthood doesn't mean you stop maturing, rather you continue to change your train of thought and the way you view life. Is not that your personality changes, more so your priorities and that's an adjustment your other half have to learn to accept.

Marriage involves going through many phases. The dating and honeymoon phase, child rearing years, buying or building a house (which I hear is one of the most difficult), career changes, children moving out, reconnecting, health problems, major life changes/crisis, the list goes on. And lets not get started on the in-between. But when you surpass all that that's when you know the love is real and long lasting.

I look forward to sitting on the sand at the beach at 80 years old as we talk about the awful years and the awesome years in our marriage. I want to tell our children, grandchildren, and great-greatchildren a love story worth telling. I want to break the cycle of divorce and multiple re-marriages. I want to prove that it is worth staying married through the not so good years because that's were a successful marriage derives from.

Happy late anniversary love of my life, may God grant us with many years of real love, peace, health, and happiness.


Post a Comment