DR 2016: Arrival & Dreams Resort Stay

September 22, 2016

DR2016

It has been exactly a month since our vacation to the Dominican Republic and although I really wanted to write detailed posts on this amazing trip (because it was without doubt the best vacation we have taken thus far!) I can't and won't set myself up to fail. Nursing school has officially consumed my life and I don't know if I could ever catch up. I'm not even exaggerating. I honestly feel like I need to start over with blogging and the projects that I started early this year because well, I just don't have the time to write, let alone sit and think about the past several months. So before this too becomes a distant memory I decided to just write a semi long post (let's see how long it actually gets) and create a slide show with our hundreds of pictures to include in the end. 

So here we go! 

DR2016

We traveled via Jet Blue airlines and JFK Airport on August 10th. It was our first time traveling through JFK and that airline and we have no complains. We were actually surprise with our experience because it turned out to be nothing from what we expected. Overall we ended up with such a positive experience that we might just start using Jet Blue for future travels. 

Our flight did leave later than scheduled and instead of landing at 3am we landed at 5am. This was mostly due to a passenger that got super drunk before boarding and ended up vomiting all over the plane as we were getting ready to take off. Like we were literally next on line on the runway and they turned the plane around. It was bad. But it was an overnight flight so it really didn't bothered us. 

Once we landed in Santo Domingo, my mother and her husband were waiting for us at the airport and we packed the car and headed straight to La Romana were we would spend most of our vacation time at. This is also were the resort is located. We finished a few errands before we headed over to the resort so by the time we got there it was 11am. Exactly 12 hours since we left our home. Isn't it amazing how much can change in a short amount of hours :). Our phone was dead most of those 12 hours so not many pictures were taken and for some reason I didn't think about using my Nikon. Poor camera has been neglected for far too long. 

DR2016

DR2016

DR2016

We stayed at Dreams Resort La Romana, the same resort that we got married at 5 years earlier except on a different location. Our reservations was for 3 nights and 4 days. The main reason for this trip was because I was matron of honor at my cousin's wedding and we embraced the opportunity to make it a family vacation that lasted 12 days! I feel very lucky and blessed that we were able to stay that long. 

Our time at the resort was awesome. The grounds were beautiful, the people were short of amazing and super friendly, the food and drinks were always on point (like my hubby would say), and everything else was just perfect. The first day we did some pool lounging and later that night we had a welcome gathering for the wedding guests. The second day was another pool and beach day with a wedding rehearsal for the bridal party right after dinner and a few hours at the club in the resort. 

DR2016

DR2016

Day three was THE day. My cousins and her beloved husband were married! Like I mentioned before I was her MOH as well as her photographer. Tough role I know. It was hectic but I am so glad that I was able to capture some amazing pictures for her. Now, I am not a photographer nor plan on changing careers but I would like to have that skill in my bag of many trades. I would love to be able to capture amazing photographs of my little ones and of our many vacations to come but for right now my focus is learning how to save/help a life not end one hahaha. The wedding was perfect. A few set backs but you have those in any wedding no matter the location. I was a bit bummed that we had to move the reception indoors instead of having it on the beach due to rain but everything turned out to be perfect at the end. 

DR2016

On day four the hubby and I decided to spend some quality time together and headed early morning for a couple massage oceanfront. It was the one of the greatest experience ever. Talk about peaceful!!! I honestly have no words on how amazing this was as well as the entire stay at the resort. Not to mention that the kids had a blast and that's more than we could have asked for. We checked out of the resort around 5pm that Sunday and drove over to the hotel that we were be staying for the night. 

That night my stepfather took us out to a club. I wasn't really in the mood to go, I was tired, it was late, and we had an early start the next day, plus my hair was wildin' out but I ended up going anyways. He meant well and just wanted us to have a good time and I couldn't say no to him so we went. It was a good time and the best part was that we got to go to a chimi spot. A chimi is a pork sandwhich called èl chimichurri, check out Aunt's Clara recipe if you are interested in trying it out. It's not the traditional chimi but you'll have to take a trip to DR for the real thing ;). They make it in the states too in places like NYC and even in the town we live but there's nothing like the real thing straight from the island. It was quite the experience and quite the start of our road trip around the Dominican Republic. 

I guess this is going to turn out to be quite a few posts after all. Check back tomorrow for more fun in the Dominican Republic. :) 

DR2016


DR2016

Weekly pictures of my boys 32/52 (late)

Post a Comment