Breakfast Oatmeal Drink ~ Avena Caliente

November 7, 2015

Untitled

This is one of my favorite breakfast drinks from my childhood. I remember my mom or grandma making this for all the kids and serving it in a mug with a piece of bread in the mornings. Last time I had this was in 2014 when we traveled to DR for my moms wedding. I had asked her best friend/our aunt to make us Avena and in my mind I had an image something completely different. I was thinking of cream of wheat. So when she called me to the kitchen and handed me this mug with oatmeal and sticks of cinnamon in it I had the the only look of confusion yet out of respect I didn't say anything, grabbed my mug, thanked her and walked away. Then I tried it and it was the most amazing thing I've ever had! 

I didn't have this again till last week. Which is funny because I've been meaning to ask my mom to either make it or tell me how to make it. My kids are weird when it comes to eating foods that I grew up eating, I'd say that they are very much Americanized in many things, shame on me. When she made this they were in school/daycare and I ended up taking the leftovers to work to have for breakfast and that's when I realized I had to make this more often in our home.

Came Saturday morning I woke up thinking about eating this. I asked my mom to make it and she said that she was going out. So I asked her how do I make it. I was worried about making it because I had to make a big batch for every at home. But I faced my fears and gave it a try anyways. And guess what? Success!!!!! It was just enough and it was delicious. A little less sweetened than what my mom's was because I always watch how much sugar I add to things but it was good nonetheless.  

So without further adieu here's the recipe per my momma. Remember, I made a double batch that fed 6 people using 6-8z mugs. 

2015-11-07_0001
Lets pretend this is not a snapchat picture. Ignore the nutmeg, I didn't use it.

Ingredients
1 cup quick oats
1 can evaporated carnation milk 
2 cups milk (I used 1% but even almond milk can be used)
4 cups of water 
1/2 cup sugar (you can add more to your liking) 
Cinnamon to taste
Whole cloves to taste
Pinch of salt 
Lemon skin 


2015-11-07_0002

Directions
-Put 1/2 of the quick oats and 2 cups of water in pot using medium heat. 
-Using a blender, blend the other 1/2 cup of oats with the remaining 2 cups of water then add to pot. 
-add salt, lemon skin, whole cloves, and  cinnamon to pot and bring to a boil. It will look very thick. 
-add carnation milk, regular milk, and sugar bring down the heat a notch and let it simmer for about 10mins. 
-serve hot and enjoy! 

This is a very easy to make and nutritious breakfast. All the kids at home ate every bit of it. I also served it with some bread like I had it as a kid and got no confused looks :)

***since this is a very hot meal and it takes a while to cool down I usually add a little bit more milk to each individual serving and mix it around so that it can cool a little faster. If you plan on doing this keep in mind the amount of sugar you add as it will make it less sweet. Next time I make this I will definitely add a little more sugar. 


2015-11-07_0003

Post a Comment