letters to my loved ones

July 31, 2011


A few weeks ago I was reading a blog I follow. Sort of. In one of her posts she gave reference to a friend she has and she posted a link to that friend's blog. Me being like I am, clicked on the link and got so caught up on that other person's blog. That other person is Stacy, from Show and Tell Photography. I love reading about other people out there and their life or career.

Before I knew it I'd reached a post that talked about letters that she writes to herself on her birthdays to be open 5 years later. I thought that was such a neat idea. It must be a great feeling reading something you wrote for yourself years ago. You can read things about your life that you might of forgotten about, or you can notice how much you've changed just by the way your letter was written and how much your life has changed since then. I was intrigued and I kept thinking that maybe I should do something like that and see how it turns out.


Later that day an episode from George Lopez's show came to mind and was also given that night. I love George, we watch him all the time as a family. In that specific episode Angie, his wife, finds a letter that they had written to each other when they got married many years ago. I want to say maybe 15-20 years. They were suppose to open the letter a while back but she completely forgot about it. Now that she has found them she wants to open up the letters and read what they had written each other back when they were newlyweds. Is a funny episode, yet again they all are. You should watch it sometime. This episode gave me the idea to also write a letter to DH and have him write one for me to open on our 5th year anniversary and make it a tradition of every 5 years or so.


Then a couple of weeks later I was watching an episode from Drop Dead Diva and what do you know. In that episode Jane, the main actress, was defending a mother who had conceived her child through a sperm donor company and her child was born with medical issues etc. The point is that that mother had written a letter to her son to be open when he was 17 years old. Do I have to say what idea that gave me? :)

Coincidence or fate?

Now here I am starting a family tradition that I hope will continue on through the years and hopefully my kids generations and so forth. So far I've written a letter to my beloved husband to be exchanged and open on our 5th anniversary, a letter to my son to be open on his 18th birthday (that day I plan to write another one to be open on his 30th birthday), and a letter to myself to be open on my 29th birthday. I'm very excited and curious to know how much or little my/our life changes in the next 5 years and how different we become as a couple, individual, parent, child, etc.

Here are some pictures I took of the letter I wrote to DH .


2 comments

  1. I'm so glad you found Stacey's blog! Isn't she fantastic?!? Love her! I thought of writing the letter too. It's such a cute idea! Congrats on your wedding Pamela. It was gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You caught me by surprise girl. I never thought to see you around here lol thanks. Yes she is, I love reading her blog and yours too of course. Congrats on your wedding too, your photographer did an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete