Be Thankful

November 2, 2013

Often times we tend to complain about the smallest things in life. Things that may or may not be important. Things that we take too seriously and give too much thought too. Things that, simpy put, really don't matter. Much. 

Where am I going with this? 

Well today something happened to me. Not me personally but someone close to me. And this thing served as a reminder for what I should really be focusing on in life and what I should be doing daily. Be Thankful. Thankful for all that I have which some people lack. Example, a home. 

The past several months I've been feeling defeated. Unlucky in some aspects of life. I've felt angry at some people I interact with almost daily and some whom I don't even know too well due to their behavior, and one in particular that's no longer with me. Angry at myself for past actions. Lots of tears have been shed while in the shower or doing the dishes. Sometimes even during a diaper change when I'm home alone. I was beginning to think an unwanted friend (PPD) was lingering around. It was that bad. 

I asked and asked why me? Why was I going through this? Why me?!!! When all along I should had been asking what was the message being sent? Or what lesson was I being taught? I needed to look at things differently. And still should. Instead of focusing on the bad and the why I need to look at the bright side of things. Find the good in every situation. Think positive and always always have a smile on my face. Because even if I'm feeling down something as simple as a smile can change ones day. Whether is myself or a stranger walking by. You just never know how much of an influence one can be and how easily contagious a type of attitude can be. 

So this thing that happened today. It concerns someone's health. A very sad but true reality. Something you can't ignore. Things like this is what we need to focus on and worry about. Something that's worth crying for and feeling defeated. But even with that we should still be thankful. Because there's a lesson behind it, if not for oneself for someone close to us. 

After hearing this news I began to think about my family. My kids. My self. How lucky we are to be healthy. To be alive. How lucky I was to be in good health. Suddlenly all those feelings I had of feeling angry and defeated went away because it didn't matter much. I was alive and healthy. Healthy! and I should be thankful for that. Even if everything is not going as I would hope I'm still here. With my senses intact to enjoy my kids, my family, the season. 

Life is not easy. Or fair. But we are here for a reason. With a purpose. We shouldn't waste our life away or take anything for granted. We should take advantage of every second we are given and make the best out of it because our days are numbered and we never know when our end will come. Or when our health will no longer be in good condition. 

So this month, being that is the time of Thanks Giving, I am challenging myself to think positive, see the good in everything, and be thankful every single day. No matter the situation. 

I'm going to make a list of everything I'm thankful for after really paying attention. Even if its the smallest thing ever. Then I'm going to share it here. To have in writing and be able to refer back to it when I'm feeling down or defeated. Today I'm thankful for my health and that of my family. 

 I challenge you to do the same. What are you thankful for? 

 “Life has many ways of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once.” – Paulo Coelho


 photo sig.jpg

Post a Comment