Our Marriage: 4 Years

June 25, 2015

2015-06-24_0004

It has been four years since our beautiful wedding in Dreams Punta Cana. If you'd ask me then what I envisioned my marriage to be like I would have said something like a "happy ending". Little did I know that our marriage would be anything but a happy ending. Instead it was the beginning of a journey, one that we hope will someday be a happy ending to our life.

I won't lie, there's no point in doing so. The first couple (plus) years in our marriage were the hardest. It was like starting from scratch. I felt like I had no idea who I had married and although I can't speak for my hubby I'm sure he had his own issues with me. It was a phase in our lives that would either make us or break us. The future seemed uncertain for us. We had no idea what would be of us in a few years or even a few months into the future. It seemed that we were destined to fail as a married couple. 

2015-06-24_0001

Lucky for us we opted to give it our best and make it work. We seeked counseling, we tried techniques, and approached our issues in a multitude of ways until we found one that worked for us. It wasn't easy but in my personal approach I chose to stay true to the words I had vowed my husband and God realizing that the best things in life require hard work. I turned to God more than anything or anyone to help our marriage and God came to the rescue. It took him several years but he came through for us and today although we are not quite perfect we are a lot happier and in sync than we were four years ago. It has helped a lot that our loved ones were a major support system for the both of us. Always advising us and interceding for us in prayer.

I'll never get tired of saying it but marriage is anything but a destination. It's nothing more than a journey. A journey were you truly get to know your partner. One in which you are constantly learning all sorts of things and where you learn to adapt to new changes, compromise, fighting fair, love harder, forgive, give in. And that's not even the half of it. It may seem easier to throw in the towel and start over but what guarantees you that the next marriage will be any easier? Marriage is hard and it will always be a journey, no matter who your partner is. I believe that there is no such thing as a perfect marriage but I have no doubt that there are A LOT of great ones. 

2015-06-24_0003

I have great faith and plans for our future as I'm sure my husband does too and I look forward to the years ahead where we will grow and mature together. A future that we will build together. A life in which the journey will require us both to work together to make a great one.

I look forward to what our future holds and I feel lucky and blessed that my husband, like myself,  chose to keep going instead of giving up on us. With four years of marriage now and the rest of our lives to go I can honestly say that I love the person I have evolved into as an individual thanks to my better half. Many will never understand and it's ok, they don't have to because this journey belongs to us. We make the decisions here and we will reap from its benefits.

Happy Anniversary to us! May the Lord continue to bless us and our little family. May he continue to give us the strength, love, and faith that we require to honor our vows until the end of our lives.

2015-06-24_0002


xoxo
The Wife

Post a Comment