DIY: Our Family Map

October 26, 2012



Earlier this year I talked about some DIY projects I wanted to do and this one is one of them. 

I saw this a lot on the web after we got married and I couldn't wait to get started one it. They call it the "Newlywed Map" but I use it as a family map and use different color tacks to differentiate between couple trips and family trips. 

I used directions given here but here is a quick reference to the supply list.

- 36″x 24″ world map (executive version) from Mapcenter.com = $12.99
- 1 box medium map tacks (black, white) from Mapcenter.com = $4.79 each
- 36″x 24″ piece of foam core = $7.50 (with 50% off coupon at Michaels)
- 36″x 24″ black frame, glass removed = $59.99 (I used a 50% coupon from Michaels so $29.99)
- Elmer’s spray adhesive = $3 (with 40% off coupon at Michaels
)

I did this months ago but didn't put it in a frame until a few weeks ago and if you notice some parts of the map is raised. I have no idea why this happened. I'm assuming because maybe I didn't use enough adhesive but I honestly I have no idea. I tried to fix it but it wasn't working out so I let it go. It doesn't look bad hanged on the wall so whatever.


 I also bought this wall decal from Amazon and put it right on top of the frame. 




I still have some tacks to add to it from past travels but they are mostly from places in the States. Only Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are places we've traveled to in the Caribbean etc and I hope that starts to change soon :). 


Post a Comment