30 Days of Thanksgiving: Natural Hair

November 4, 2016





Ok so this one is a little random.


A couple years ago I ventured on the transitioning hair journey. I pretty much chopped of all my hair, stop applying heat, and looked like crap 75% of the time because I couldn't figure out how to manage all this thick hair Hahaha. It's ridiculously funny now that I think about it but a real story nonetheless.

It all started back in 2012 unintentionally and by 2014 I started in the official transitioning journey. I would still apply heat once in a while but not nearly as often as I had previously done. This year, 2016, it was all thrown out the window. I thought, screw this. I'm a grown a$$ women, I don't have time to be looking like crap so I started to blow dry my hair again a lot more frequently. I've been faithful to trimming my hair every 3-4 months to promote growth and maintain health but I sucked at keeping up with treatments and deep conditioning. For some reason I still felt unsecured when my hair was wet because to me it was too short and it looked plain weird. Some days it would look really nice while others it was like I didn't look in the mirror before leaving my house. 

Recently though I've been embracing my natural hair by doing wash n' go styles. I want to say that the only reason why I haven't been consistent with allowing my curl pattern to develop nicer is because I didn't have a good regimen to follow. Actually, I'm still learning and trying to figure it out. But it has gotten a lot better. So today I sucked it up, did a half assed wash n' go style, and left to work. All day I would sneak to the bathroom to make sure my hair wasn't acting up and it wasn't. It actually looked pretty awesome. I was happy :)

Once I got home I showered n rewashed my hair with conditioner just to redo the style in more detail and OMG reality check, my hair has come a long way. The curls pop out so much more. I definitely have 2 curl patterns and there's a lot more room for improvement but I love it!!! 4 hours later it's still somewhat wet so is not as puffy as I would like but I hope for tomorrow it'll look a lot better. After that small reality check I thought "I am so glad I started this journey to find my natural hair texture". And so something very insignificant that I take for granted with each passing day makes the thankful list.

I am so thankful for my natural hair! Guys, I have the best of both worlds. I can style my hair wet to have some pretty awesome curls or I can straighten it and look totally different. Is like having multiple personalities ;) just kidding. But each look does make me feel very different and unique about myself. It's pretty awesome :)


Post a Comment